- Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii TV Anime Adaptation Announced for Spring 2018
- My Girlfriend Is ShoBitch TV Anime Premieres This Fall/Autumn – Cast & Staff Revealed
- Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san TV Anime Adaptation Announced for 2018
- Fairy Tail Anime Final Season to Premiere 2018
- Chuunibyou demo Koi Ga Shitai! -Take on Me- Designs, Tickets & Recap Video Revealed
During the debut screenings for the second compilation film of the anime adaptation of Kugane Maruyama and So-bin’s Overlord light novel series it was announced that the 2015 anime would be getting a second season.
There are a total of 2 anime films recapping the events of the TV anime. The first film will be titled Overlord: Fushisha no Ou (Overlord: The Undead King) and released in Japan on February 25, 2017. The second film, Overlord: Shikkoku no Tenshi (Overlord: The Dark Warrior), will released in Japan today, March 11, 2017.
MYTH & ROID, who performed the 2015 anime’s Ending theme song, returned to perform the theme song for the films.
Here is the first trailer for the recap films:
The Overlord light novel series received an anime adaptation during the Summer 2015 anime season, running for a total of 13 episodes. The main cast of the anime includes:
- Satoshi Hino (Yuuji Sakai in Shakugan no Shana) will voice Momonga, the guild leader of Ains
- Yumi Hara (Takane Shijou in The [email protected]) will be voicing Albedo
- Sumire Uesaka (Sanae Dekomori in Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) as Shalltear Bloodfallen
- Emiri Katou (Kyuubey from Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica) is voicing as Aura Bella Fiore
- Yumi Uchiyama (Yoko Inokuma in Kiniro Mosaic) voices Mare Bello Fiore
- Kenta Miyake (Tsume in Wolf’s Rain) will play the role of Cocytus
- Masayuki Katou (Kiyomasa Senji from Deadman Wonderland) voices Demiurge
- Shigeru Chiba (Kazuma Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho) as Sebas Tian
The anime’s staff include:
- Director: Naoyuki Itou (Digimon: Data Squad, One Piece 3D2Y)
- Series Composer and Screenplay Writer: Yukie Sugawara (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Sword Art Online)
- Anime Character Designer and Chief Animation Director: Yoshimatsu Takahiro (Hunter × Hunter, Trigun)
- Sound Director: Yuki Satofumi (Rail Wars!, Ninja Slayer From Animation)
- Music Composer: Shuuji Katayama (Yurumates3Dei, Francesca)
- Animation Studio: Madhouse (No Game No Life, Wolf Children)
Overlord is a fantasy light novel series written by Kugane Maruyama and illustrated by so-bin. The series began online in 2010 before Kadokawa’s Enterbrain light novel imprint began publishing the series in 2012. To date a total of 11 compiled volumes have been released, where over 2 million prints have been sold. An audio CD of the series was released bundled with the light novel’s 3rd volume, and 2 drama CDs of the series were released with volumes 4 and 6. A manga adaptation of the series illustrated by Hugin Miyama began in November last year in Kadokawa Shoten’s monthly Comp Ace magazine. An anime adaptation was produced during the Summer 2015 anime season for a total of 12 episodes.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
The story begins with Yggdrasil, a popular online game which is quietly shut down one day. However, the protagonist Momonga decides to not log out. Momonga is then transformed into the image of a skeleton as “the most powerful wizard.” The world continues to change, with non-player characters (NPCs) beginning to feel emotion. Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary young man Momonga then strives to take over the new world the game has become.
A second season of the Overlord TV anime has been announced and is in production. Further details about the films will be revealed in the future.