A brand new promotional video has been released for the upcoming second season of the anime adaptation of Yasuhiro Nightow’s Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) manga, Kekkai Sensen & Beyond. The new video has us return to the bustling city of Hellsalem’s Lot and the members of Libra. The second season’s Opening theme song, fake town baby by Unison Square Garden, is also previewed in the video.
The second season of the Kekkai Sensen anime, titled Kekkai Sensen & Beyond, will premiere on Sunday, October 8 on MBS at 3:08am JST, during the Fall/Autumn 2017 anime season.
Here is the previous PV:
Here is the first 30 second commercial for season 2:
And here is the second season’s announcement video:
A pre-screening event for the anime will be held on Saturday, September 30 at Toho Cinemas Roppongi. The event will show the first episode of the second season before its official premiere in October. The event will also include a talk show with the main cast and staff.
Season 2 of the anime will broadcast this October on MBS, Tokyo MX and BS11, within the Fall/Autumn 2017 anime season. It will run for 12 episodes and will follow the manga more faithfully.
The main cast of the first season will return for Kekkai Sensen & Beyond:
- Rikiya Koyama (Kiritsugu Emiya in Fate/Zero and Fate/stay night) is voicing the role of Klaus von Reinhertz
- Daisuke Sakaguchi (Shinpachi Shimura in Gintama) as Leonard Watch
- Kazuya Nakai (Roronoa Zoro from One Piece) will voice Zapp Renfro
- Yuu Kobayashi (Sasha Blouse from Attack on Titan) is voicing Chain Sumeragi
- Mitsuru Miyamoto (Maiza Avaro in Baccano!) voices Stephen A. Starphase
- Ai Orikasa (Ryouko Hakubi in Shin Tenchi Muyo!) voicing as K. K.
- Shinji Ogawa (Franz von Stresemann from Nodame Cantabile) as Gilbert F. Altstein
- Yuuma Uchida (Yuuma Kousaka in Gundam Build Fighters Try) will voice Sonic Speed Monkey
- Hikaru Midorikawa (Kyousuke Natsume from Little Busters!) voicing as Zed O’Brien
The majority of the staff also returns for the second season, however a new director will helm the series:
- Director: Shigehito Takayanagi (Tokyo ESP, The World God Only Knows)
- Script Writer: Kazunao Furuya (Debut role)
- Anime Character Designer: Toshihiro Kawamoto (Cowboy Bebop, Gosick)
- Art Director: Shinji Kimura (Ao no Exorcist Movie, Steamboy)
- Animation Studio: Studio BONES (Hitsugi no Chaika, Captain Earth)
A Blu-ray boxset of the first season will release on June 21st, for ¥29,800 (~ US$270.00). The boxset will contain all 12 episodes and the bonus OVA, all on 6 Blu-ray discs in 1080p HD. The release will also come with a bonus disc containing:
- Non credited versions of the Opening and Ending themes
- Collection of promotional videos, trailers and commercials
- Select songs
The boxset will also come with a special digipak drawn by character designer Toshihiro Kawamoto, a limited edition case illustrated by Nightow, and a drama CD with transcript.
Kekkai Sensen (Blood Blockade Battlefront) is a manga from Yasuhiro Nightow that began in 2008 as a one shot series. Kekkai Sensen was published in Shueisha’s Jump Square magazine, with a 3 part special releasing in 2009. The manga became a regular series in 2010 and ended after a total of 10 volumes. A sequel manga, titled Kekkai Sensen Back 2 Back began in 2015 and currently has 2 published volumes. An anime adaptation of the series was produced for 2015 that aired for a total of 12 episodes and a second season airing in October 2017. Nightow is most known for this other manga Trigun, which ended that year with Trigun Maximum, the series also had an anime adaptation in 1998.
Here is a synopsis of the series from MAL:
A breach between Earth and the netherworlds has opened up over the city of New York, trapping New Yorkers and creatures from other dimensions in an impenetrable bubble. They’ve lived together for years, in a world of crazy crime sci-fi sensibilities. Now someone is threatening to sever the bubble, and a group of stylish superhumans is working to keep it from happening.
You can visit the anime’s website here: http://kekkaisensen.com/
And follow their Twitter here: @kekkaisensen
Theo Anime News