- Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii TV Anime Adaptation Announced for Spring 2018
- My Girlfriend Is ShoBitch TV Anime Premieres This Fall/Autumn – Cast & Staff Revealed
- Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san TV Anime Adaptation Announced for 2018
- Chuunibyou demo Koi Ga Shitai! -Take on Me- Designs, Tickets & Recap Video Revealed
- Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan Season 2 Slated for Early 2018
Fairy Tail creator Hiro Mashima has announced on his Twitter account that one last season of the TV anime adaptation is in production and is set to broadcast in 2018. The new anime was previously teased one year ago in July 2016.
The Final Season of FAIRY TAIL TV anime will go on air in 2018!
— 真島ヒロ (@hiro_mashima) July 20, 2017
The previous anime release of the series was the original anime film Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry, which released in Japan and over 15 counties earlier this May. The most recent TV anime was 2016’s prequel series Fairy Tail Zero. The new series will be the third TV anime adaptation, following the original 2009 anime and the second season in 2014.
The manga itself will be ending with the next chapter, that will be released in next week’s issue of Kodansha’s Weekly Shonen Magazine.
The main cast of the Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry anime film consists of:
- Tetsuya Kakihara (Simon from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) returns as Natsu Dragneel
- Aya Hirano (Haruhi Suzumiya from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) is back to voice Lucy Heartfilia
- Yuuichi Nakamura (Kyousuke Kousaka in Oreimo) is voicing Gray Fullbuster
- Sayaka Ohara (Irisviel von Einzbern in Fate/Zero) will voice Erza Scarlet
- Satomi Satou (Ritsu Tainaka in K-ON!) returning as Wendy
- Rie Kugimiya (Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood) as Happy
- Yui Horie (Tsubasa Hanekawa from Bakemonogatari) as Charles
The anime’s leading production staff has:
- Director: Tatsuma Minamikawa (Attack on Titan and Aldnoah.Zero Episode Director)
- Scriptwriter: Shoji Yonemura (Hunter × Hunter, One Piece)
- Chief Animation Director and Anime Character Designer: Yuuko Yamada (Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun, Persona 3 the Movie #3 Falling Down)
- Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures (Sword Art Online, Aldnoah.Zero)
Fairy Tail is a fantasy, action manga series written and illustrated by Hiro Mashima, being his second major publication after RAVE. The series has been published in Kodansha’s Weekly Shonen Magazine since 2006, where a total of 56 volumes have been produced to date. Over the last few years, the series has grown in popularity, being the fourth highest selling manga in 2011. An anime adaptation of Fairy Tail started airing in 2009 and ended on March 30 2013, produced by A-1 Pictures (Aldnoah.Zero, AnoHana). A continuation of the anime, Fairy Tail (2014) launched in April last year with largely the same production staff and cast and ended in March 2016. 6 OVAs have been released thus far and a feature film, Fairy Tail: Houou no Miko, that was released in August 2012. The series also has its own monthly magazine, among other spin-offs.
Here is the series synopsis from MAL:
Set in an imaginary world, the Earth Land, there exists a Mage Guild called “Fairy Tail”. Fairy Tail is stationed in the town Magnolia, residing in the Kingdom of Fiore, and is currently governed by Makarov, Guild’s master. Lucy Heartfilia, a 17-year-old girl, wishes to become a full-fledged mage and join one of the most prestigious Mage Guilds in the world, Fairy Tail. One day, out of pure coincidence, she meets Natsu Dragneel, a boy who is transportation-sick, but very cheerful in nature. However, the thing she does not know is that Natsu is the closest connection to Fairy Tail, as he is a Mage in Fairy Tail.
The final season of the TV anime adaptation of Fairy Tail is currently in production and is slated for a 2018 broadcast. Further information about the anime will be revealed at a later date.